I accepted the document, two sweaty palms reaching, tentative, unprepared. I scanned the words, reading them aloud. “I've got this deep wrestling within my dark soul. A hunger for the oppressed. An almighty beckoning for the broken and bent, a writhing which cannot be tamed by silence. No; the silence, the hush, the hustle cannot squelch the fire to share light for those trembling in the depths. I cannot stop giving of myself for my mission, for to stop is to suffocate. To quit, impossible. To surrender, unattainable. My wrestling therefore occurs not in the loss, but the gain. Loss no longer exists. All movement, all attempts, fulfill the mission. My mission.
For I have been redeemed, and I defeat the darkness within me by each lent hand and rescued soul whom I reach. I am Alliance. I defend freedom, defy injustice, and deepen creative productivity to enhance mankind’s survival. In living victory, I bear my burden, a warrior for my objective: Be powerful. Be consistent. Never quit. Finish the mission.”
My eyes glanced up from the words to my father, then back down, reading, re-reading. Recoiling. Rerouting. “I guess with this kind of mission statement, there’s no room for fear.”
“There’s no need for fear. It’s not part of the mission.”
“I am Alliance. I like it.”
“I am Alliance.”
That was an excerpt from EARTHSHINE, the fifth and final book recounting the tales of my Alliance buddies. In the past four years I’ve put in a lot of work, not only writing, researching, and editing, but in learning marketing, networking strategies, and social media communications. You know what I’ve learned? I’m one person. Just as I thought before I signed any book contracts with Clean Reads, I knew I wanted a publisher who would help me market my books. You know what else I’ve learned? My publisher doesn’t do any of that, and I’m still one lil’ ol' person with a big dream of encouraging the broken-hearted.
I recently received the royalty statement from last quarter’s books. I sold 44 copies of HERE BE DRAGONS and earned $.08.
Eight. Cents. Eight digital pennies. Woo! Super exciting. I’ve also decided I want my words to be used for good, no matter what. Regardless of what it takes to get these books to readers, I’m doing my best to follow my heart’s calling. My heart’s hunger.
So, I’m planning a party.
I’m putting together a team of people who like to encourage and who need encouragement, and I’m inviting you to the team. #TeamMessyBun. Oh, yes. Regardless of your reading any of my past writing, I’m inviting you onto Team Messy Bun because I saw potential in you. You are someone who cares about others and who invests in them. You are an encourager, a lifter, a beacon of hope to those around you. And I want you on my team.
In the world of publishing, they recommend small press authors use a “street team,” (I cannot stand the term!) to help market your books. I have hesitated doing this, because I don’t want to obligate anyone to my passions. So I do not consider this a “street team.” However, I DO want to celebrate with my friends. The journey of writing these INSURRECTION books has been years in the making, and it’s finally at fruition. I’ve celebrated the past releases somewhat alone, and I’m over it. Five books and almost five years of work deserves a party, yo! I’m no longer looking at stats or rankings or ratings or royalty statements. I’ve learned a lot, both about practical application and about digging in when the ground’s quaking. I’m simply encouraging others to pursue their passions and giving them helpful tools to do so. And I’d love for you to join me.
It’s time to employ OPERATION MESSY BUN.
In fact, I’m so pumped that I’ve begun work on this even before the book’s in the final stages of being ready. Team Messy Bun truly is a passion project of mine, more than a group of people posting about a book release. I want to equip and empower you do to great things. Let’s get to it. From here on out, you here in this group are my Alliance.
So what are the expectations of “being on Team Messy Bun”?
There’s a give and take, and hopefully, you wouldn’t mind passing along a few posts on social media or in real life to help spread the word about the EARTHSHINE release in October. In return for your sharing, I’m all about rewarding and making it totally fun in the process.
My requests for anyone on Team Messy Bun would be:
1) Join the Facebook group – it’s closed and ONLY to be used for posting encouraging thoughts to help you achieve your goals and providing you with tools to spur you on to doing the amazing things you’re passionate about. It will be our main communication tool. [Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1863146427281089/ ]
2) During Release Week (sometime in October. Waiting on release dates.) you would do a total of five challenges on social media or in real life. All would pertain to EARTHSHINE’s release, as well as bringing light and life to the world. These challenges will be something like sharing a Kadee Carder Ink post or two, taking a picture of yourself reading the free copy I provide to you, posting a review, and other fun things like that. With each of these “challenges” you will be put in a drawing to win free things like gift certificates, coffee, movies, gift paraphernalia, and a grand prize drawing at the end of the week.
3) Basically, join the party and play along. And win stuff. Be my party guest. Let’s celebrate doing hard things.
What do you get in return for being on Team Messy Bun?
Throughout the summer and until October, you will receive:
1) A free ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of EARTHSHINE in PDF form.
2) A free ALLIANCE MILITARY GUARD TRAINING GUIDE – containing 10 free metabolic workouts from Fit By Faith. All workouts can be done in about 20 minutes, at home or in the gym.
3) A free FUEL YOUR LIFE cookbook containing 12 recipes pertaining to the INSURRECTION series. Most will be paleo, keto, or fat-loss friendly to get those boots on the ground and pumping.
4) A free digital copy of THE LEGACY PYRAMID, a brief non-fiction guide to building your purpose and creating your unique legacy.
5) A free digital copy of IGNITE, a 60-page guide to dealing with challenges and encouragement for the weary. Find your sparkle. Keep walking.
6) Each day that you participate in the EARTHSHINE release week party, you’ll be entered into a daily drawing for gift certificates to coffee, movies, online retailers, and more. There will be a grand prize drawing at the end of the party that will include merchandise and most likely a PHYSICAL COPY of EARTHSHINE. Probably a Team Messy Bun t-shirt!
7) Encouragement here in the Facebook group to build your purpose, live courageously, and to build your own Alliance. Hoo-rah!
If you aren’t interested in posting about a book release, I totally get that. If you aren’t interested in joining ANOTHER GROUP on Facebook, I totally get that, too. If you aren’t interested in posting about a book release, I totally get that. Zero spam. Zero pressure. Zero obligation. I will not be posting any "buy my awesome book" posts. This group will be 100% enthusiasm and support. 100% dream-weaving. 100% applicable tools. Yes, that’s 300%. Go big or go home. We roll hard. Especially if there’s coffee involved.
Oh, yeah, here’s the blurb for EARTHSHINE, in case you’re interested, before making up your mind:
Saylor spent two years recovering after she single-handedly saved the world from a devastating solar flare...and it killed her. Now her father's Alliance Military Guard must track down pirated tech, missing ships, and a rogue member of the board. And Alliance needs her help.
Tucker spent a year training the rookie recruits with Alliance. They call themselves Dragons. He calls them hot-headed. Dispatched across the ocean on a mission to go unearth Alliance's bootlegged tech, he rallies Saylor to overcome her fears and return to the field by his side.
Determined to change their destinies, the two wrangle missing ghosts, brunt force betrayal, and the swagger of power--utilizing awesome tech, of course, inundated with sizzling romance along the way.
EARTHSHINE is the final book following the McConnell clan and Alliance Military Guard, a standalone for the seeker of YA Sci Fi Action Adventures.
No need to comment or respond if you aren’t interested. Again, I’m not here to pressure you to do allthethings.
However, if you feel stuck, if you feel discouraged, if you feel frustrated or left out, or alone, or unsure of what your purpose is on this blue sphere….I hope you’ll sweep that hair up on top of your head and shift gears with me. If you’re pumped about life and confident in the direction you’re going, then yes, please, come on in! Go Team Messy Bun. I’m available for any and all questions if you got ‘em.
If you’re interested on any level, especially regarding the EARTHSHINE project, just add yo-self to the FB group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1863146427281089/
Then reply to this/comment with some kind of “Yes, I want to be Team Messy Bun!” and please email at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can get you the free documents as they become available.
Sparkle on, seekers. #teammessybun
Sign up here to receive an email notification about new blog posts and news! Let me come to you. I promise, no spam!
Please note that you will receive a confirmation email. Simply click the "Yes, subscribe me to this list" button to begin receiving updates from me.